Suicide: The Only Option, Or A Weak Cop Out?
Posted by maximilian3000
There is a definite truth: Every human that is born will eventually die! Causes of death are many. Old age, fatal accidents, and medical complications are just a few. Yet some people choose to take nature or fate into their own hands by killing themselves or (suicide). What is suicide? As defined by Merriam- Webster… the act or an instance of taking one’s own life voluntarily and intentionally especially by a person of years of discretion and of sound mind. What would cause someone to end their own life? The reasons are many and often complicated but we will explore the most common. Attempted or successful Suicide is obviously a strong indication that something is gravely wrong in a person’s life. It does not matter how rich or poor a person is, or the age or race. Most people who commit suicide have an emotional or mental disorder. The most common is depression. 30% to 70% of people who attempt or commit suicide have major depression or bipolar disorder.
Some warning signs of suicide are lost of interest in work or school, withdrawing from friends and family and giving away personal possessions. If someone is talking about attempting suicide it is a good idea to listen and assume that the intentions are real. It is true that many joke or speak sarcastically about suicide but 8 out of 10 people considering suicide give some sign of their intentions.
Little Known Suicide Facts
- The word “suicide” comes from two Latin roots, sui (“of oneself”) and cidium (“killing” or “slaying”).i
- People have committed suicide in an endless variety of ways, including swallowing poisonous spiders, power-drilling holes in their heads, sticking hot pokers down their throats, choking on underwear, injecting peanut butter into their veins, crushing their necks in vices, and hurling themselves into vats of beer
- In China, someone takes his or her own life on average every two minutes. China accounts for nearly a quarter of the global total of suicides with between 250,000 and 300,000 suicides a year.
- Among famous figures who committed suicide: Sigmund Freud, Cleopatra, Mark Antony, Brutus, Judas Iscariot, Hannibal, Nero, Virginia Wolf, Adolf Hitler, Ernest Hemmingway, Sylvia Plath, Vincent van Gogh, Jack London, Dylan Thomas, Judy Garland, Rudolph Hess, Pontius Pilate, Socrates, and possibly Tchaikovsky, Elvis Presley, and Marilyn Monroe.i
- It is more likely someone will die from suicide than from homicide. For every two people killed by homicide, three people die of suicide.bIn America, someone attempts suicide once every minute, and someone completes a suicide once every 17 minutes. Throughout the world, approximately 2,000 people kill themselves each day.b
- Suicide is the 8th leading cause of death in the United States.b
- The most common types of suicide include copycat, euthanasia, familicide, forced, honor Internet, martyrdom, ritual, attack, and cop suicidesb
With the rare exception of someone physically suffering beyond recovery or sacrificing ones life for a child or loved one, it is this writers opinion that suicide is a weak cop-out! One has to take into consideration the selfishness of the act. Who are the real victims? Not the one killing themself, any pains or misfortunes are ended “at least in the physical life” by suicide. The real victims are your family, friends, co-workers, congregation etc… who if you believe it or not has to live with the pain and grief of losing someone they depend on or care about. Yes! Someone out there does care about you. Not to mention the example you set for others that could benefit from you overcoming a seemingly hopeless situation instead of becoming another statistic on a pie chart showing another percentage point for a person that decided to take the selfish, easy way out!Max Heitz
Need help? In the U.S., call 1-800-273-8255 National Suicide Prevention Lifeline!
Resources: American Psychological Association
Mental Health America